Facebook_keep em coming

About Irish Whiskey and Spent Hops

You wouldn’t think that dogs would join in with the owners on having beverages but apparently they do!!

The VPIS said this about alcohol poisoning in dogs:

“Dogs will drink most forms of alcohol (e.g. beer, wine, spirits), but do seem to have a fondness for a particular brand of Irish whiskey and cream based liqueur ; indeed almost 20% of our canine ethanol cases with follow up involved this type of alcoholic drink.

The signs of ethanol intoxication are similar to those in humans with vomiting, depression, ataxia (walking all over the place), disorientation, vocalisation, drowsiness and coma. In severe cases there may be hypoglycaemia (low sugar), hypothermia (low temperature) and respiratory (breath) depression.

Treatment is supportive with warming measures, rehydration and nursing care. They are likely to be depressed and lethargic (or “hung over”) during recovery.”

Today, I was reading about hops and microbreweries and how spent hops tends to get a dog spent or worse!  This is what the VPIS sent in their article yesterday:

“Hops, humulus lupulus, are used to flavour beer, as well as in herbal products targeting stress and insomnia. Whilst herbal hops preparations, such as some sleeping aid tablets, rarely cause great concern, the VPIS has received calls reporting severe clinical signs after dogs have been exposed to spent hops from brewing. It is the flower cones of the female plant which are used in brewing. As the home “microbrewery” grows in popularity, owners must be advised of the risks to their pets.

The main concern in dogs post exposure is malignant hyperthermia, although the exact cause is unknown. Dogs can present with signs within 8 hours such as panting, abdominal (belly) discomfort, restlessness, tachycardia and tachypnoea. In severe cases, ingestion of spent hops can also lead to myoglobinuria (fast heart rate), metabolic acidosis, acute renal impairment, convulsions, respiratory distress and cardiovascular collapse. The case below demonstrates the potential lethality of poisoning:

A 23 kg, 4 year old Border collie lived on a brewery and became unwell after ingesting used hops. The owners noticed the dog was very hot and panting, but were not keen to bring her to a veterinary practice. They attempted to cool her down using a hose. She presented in practice 27 hours post ingestion with hypersalivation, panting, agitation and hyperthermia (41.8 °C). Once started on intravenous fluids, the dog suffered a convulsion and sadly died soon after. The body temperature following death was reported to be “off the scale”.
The VPIS advises gastric lavage in dogs that have ingested spent hops. This may still be of benefit several hours after the incident, with cases reporting of hops remaining in the stomach more than 6 hours post ingestion. Activated charcoal may also be of benefit. Vital signs should be closely monitored, in particular the temperature. Aggressive cooling measures, such as cool water baths and ice packs, may be required. IV fluids are recommended to ensure adequate hydration, promote urine output and prevent renal impairment.”

Leave a Reply